Nutri Pharma research on the detrimental effects of UHT processing of Soy protein published
17.01.2007 - A recently published placebo-controlled, randomised, double-blind clinical study over 4 weeks (80 persons) carried out in conjunction with the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm and the University of Potsdam in Berlin has found that soy protein products which have been UHT treated lose their ability to reduce serum cholesterol, and can significantly increase the levels of harmful LDL cholesterol.
A recently published placebo-controlled, randomised, double-blind clinical study over 4 weeks (80 persons) carried out in conjunction with the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm and the University of Potsdam in Berlin has found that soy protein products which have been UHT treated lose their ability to reduce serum cholesterol, and can significantly increase the levels of harmful LDL cholesterol. This is important information, since most soy protein drinks, such as soy milks and soy protein beverages are UHT treated for longer shelf life.
The surprising result of this trial was an overall significant increase in LDL cholesterol of approximately 20%. This result was challenged by a follow-up trial using the same soy protein composition, but without UHT treatment. In this case, significant reductions in both LDL and total cholesterol demonstrated the cholesterol-lowering effects of Nutri Pharma`s soy protein formulations in the absence of UHT treatment.
The conclusion drawn is that high temperature processing of soy protein products (in this case, UHT processing to more than 135 º C) destroys the cholesterol-lowering properties of the product.
Numerous clinical trials have demonstrated that Nutri Pharma’s patented soy protein products are very effective at reducing cholesterol when taken as powdered mixes for shakes, or mixed into foods – including a finding that Nutri Pharma’s Abacor® patented soy composition is approximately twice as effective as isolated soy protein alone2.
"This unexpected result is a positive one for Nutri Pharma, as it confirms the effectiveness of our patented soy compositions to reduce cholesterol when included in non UHT-treated formats, such as Nutrilett, NutriPro, and NutriBar.”
Trond Syvertsen, CEO
For further information on Nutri Pharma and its patented soy technology please visit www.nutripharma.com
- Ends -
- Lars H. Hoie, Ake Sjoholm, Marie Gulstrand, Hans-Joachim F. Zunft, Wolfgang Lueder, Hans-Joachim Graubaum, & Joerg Gruenwald.
International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 2006; 57(7/8) 512-519
- Lars H. Hoie, Eve C.A.Morgenstern, Joerg Gruenwald, Hans-Joachim Graubaum, Regina Busch & Wolfgang Luder.
European Journal of Nutrition 2005; 44(2) 65-71
Notes to Editors:
Nutri Pharma Information
· Nutri Pharma has conducted over 20 years of research and development on the efficacy and safety of soy proteins, compositions and technologies.
· Nutri Pharma was listed on the Oslo Stock exchange in May 2000, and has since invested more than USD 50 million in its research platform.
· Nutri Pharma has carried out more than 40 clinical and pre-clinical trials on its soy compositions, many of these
to the same high GCP standards as the pharmaceutical industry.
· Nutri Pharma owns the Nutrilett® brand of weight management products, marketed in the Nordic region under a long-term
licence agreement with Collett Pharma (Orkla), and which has been the #1 nutrition product in the Nordic markets for the last
17 consecutive years.
· Nutri Pharma distributes its NutriPro and NutriBar products in Russia/CIS through the wholly owned subsidiary, Meridian International Group.